Bowel preparation with Moviprep
for procedures in the morning between 8.30 and 12.30
Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy / combined colonoscopy and upper endoscopy
From two days prior to the procedure
Do not eat bread or fruit with fibres/seeds from two days prior to the examination (see “fibre-restricted diet”). These components may clog the endoscope. You will continue to follow this diet until you start the actual bowel preparation.
The day before the procedure
- Between 5 and 6 PM (17.00 and 18.00 hours) you can have a last light and/or liquid meal; again without fibres/seeds. After that you are not allowed to eat anything until the procedure. You may drink clear liquids (eg water, apple juice, white grape juice, tea, ice tea, broth (without parsely) or clear sports drink.
- Between 6.30 and 8.30 PM (18.30 and 20.30 hours) you drink 1 litre of dissolved Moviprep and ½ litre of clear liquid. Preparation method Moviprep: dissolve 1 sachet “A” and 1 sachet “B” in 1 litre of water. As clear liquid take at least 1 cup of clear broth. Start fasting from then on.
On the day of the procedure
- You are not allowed to have any breakfast
- Between 6 and 8 AM (06.00 and 08.00 hours) drink again 1 litre of dissolved Moviprep + ½ liter of clear liquid. Preparation method Moviprep: dissolve 1 sachet “A” and 1 sachet “B” in 1 litre of water. As clear liquid take at least 1 cup of clear broth. Keep drinking clear liquids (not only water!) up to two hours before the procedure until your stool has changed to a yellowish clear liquid to a maximum of 1 extra litre.
Please note that if you procedure is scheduled for 8.30AM, you have to finish drinking your bowel prep before 6.30AM.
You will start the low-fibre diet two days prior to your exam. From then on, you are allowed to eat low-fibre foods. When you have started drinking the bowel prep, you have to start fasting and only drink clear liquids.
What can you eat:
- Bread and grain products: white bread, white rolls, rusks or (natural)toast, (natural)gingerbread, white rice, pasta, potatoes, (natural)pancakes, custard or rice flour porridge
- Toppings: butter, margarine, cheese, meats, fish, jam without pieces and seeds, syrup, sprinkles, chocolate spread, eggs, honey and sugar
- Vegetables and fruit: cooked vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, chicory. Applesauce, canned soft fruid (without seeds, fibres or skin)
- Meat, fish and poultry: all types.
- Desserts: custard, pudding, cottage cheece or yogurt (without seeds)
- Soups: stock, clear soup with pieces of meat/chicken/dumplings/vegetables as mentioned above (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, chicory)/vermicelli/macaroni/white rice.
- Beverages: fruit juice without pulp, soft drinks, tea, coffee, mineral water
- Seasonings: the less spicy herbs and spices such as salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise.
What are you not allowed to eat?
- Bread and grain products: brown, wholemeal and rye bread, wholegrain breakfast products, wheat and corn bread, muesli, wholewheat and multigrain pasta, oatmeal porridge, brown rice, multigrain rice.
- Toppings: peanut butter, marmelade, jam with pieces of fruit, sandwich spread
- Fruits and vegetables: fibrous vegetables like leek, bell peppers, tomatoes and peas. Raw vegetables. All fruits, including dried fruits.
- Desserts: fruit curd or fruit yogurt.
- Soups: bound soups (including pea soup, lentil soup, bean soup, goulash soup, mushroom soup)
- Drinks: red and purple colored drinks, breakfast drinks
- Seasonings: garlic, onion, pine nuts, sunflower/sesame seeds
The MaastrichtUMC+ endoscopy department has taken great care in compiling this folder. Nevertheless, it is possible that the published information is incomplete or incorrect. However, the MUMC+ does not accept any liability for this. The MUMC+ also excludes liability for damage resulting from or related to the use of the information published in this folder/on this website.