Extended bowel preparation with Moviprep
for procedures in the morning between 8.30 and 12.30
Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy / combined colonoscopy and upper endoscopy
From two days prior to the procedure
Do not eat bread or fruit with fibres/seeds from two days prior to the examination (see “fibre-restricted diet”). These components may clog the endoscope. You will continue to follow this diet until you start the actual bowel preparation.
The day before the procedure
- For breakfast and lunch you are only allowed to take (all types of) liquids.
- Start fasting from 4PM (16.00 hours). Between 4 and 6 PM (16.00 and 18.00 hours) you drink 1 litre of dissolved Moviprep and ½ litre of clear liquid. Preparation method Moviprep: dissolve 1 sachet “A” and 1 sachet “B” in 1 litre of water. As clear liquid take at least 1 cup of clear broth.
- Between 6 and 8 PM (18.00 and 20.00 hours) you drink 1 litre of dissolved Moviprep and ½ litre of clear liquid. Preparation method Moviprep: dissolve 1 sachet “A” and 1 sachet “B” in 1 litre of water. As clear liquid take at least 1 cup of clear broth.
Please note that if you procedure is scheduled for 8.30AM, you have to finish drinking your bowel prep before 6.30AM.
On the day of the procedure
- You are not allowed to have any breakfast
- Between 6 and 8 AM (06.00 and 08.00 hours) drink again 1 litre of dissolved Moviprep + ½ liter of clear liquid. Preparation method Moviprep: dissolve 1 sachet “A” and 1 sachet “B” in 1 litre of water. As clear liquid take at least 1 cup of clear broth. Keep drinking clear liquids (not only water!) up to two hours before the procedure until your stool has changed to a yellowish clear liquid to a maximum of 1 extra litre.
You will start the low-fibre diet two days prior to your exam. From then on, you are allowed to eat low-fibre foods. When you have started drinking the bowel prep, you have to start fasting and only drink clear liquids.
What can you eat:
- Bread and grain products: white bread, white rolls, rusks or (natural)toast, (natural)gingerbread, white rice, pasta, potatoes, (natural)pancakes, custard or rice flour porridge
- Toppings: butter, margarine, cheese, meats, fish, jam without pieces and seeds, syrup, sprinkles, chocolate spread, eggs, honey and sugar
- Vegetables and fruit: cooked vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, chicory. Applesauce, canned soft fruid (without seeds, fibres or skin)
- Meat, fish and poultry: all types.
- Desserts: custard, pudding, cottage cheece or yogurt (without seeds)
- Soups: stock, clear soup with pieces of meat/chicken/dumplings/vegetables as mentioned above (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, chicory)/vermicelli/macaroni/white rice.
- Beverages: fruit juice without pulp, soft drinks, tea, coffee, mineral water
- Seasonings: the less spicy herbs and spices such as salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise.
What are you not allowed to eat?
- Bread and grain products: brown, wholemeal and rye bread, wholegrain breakfast products, wheat and corn bread, muesli, wholewheat and multigrain pasta, oatmeal porridge, brown rice, multigrain rice.
- Toppings: peanut butter, marmelade, jam with pieces of fruit, sandwich spread
- Fruits and vegetables: fibrous vegetables like leek, bell peppers, tomatoes and peas. Raw vegetables. All fruits, including dried fruits.
- Desserts: fruit curd or fruit yogurt.
- Soups: bound soups (including pea soup, lentil soup, bean soup, goulash soup, mushroom soup)
- Drinks: red and purple colored drinks, breakfast drinks
- Seasonings: garlic, onion, pine nuts, sunflower/sesame seeds
The Maastricht UMC+ endoscopy department has taken great care in compiling this folder. Nevertheless, it is possible that the published information is incomplete or incorrect. However, the MUMC+ does not accept any liability for this. The MUMC+ also excludes liability for damage resulting from or related to the use of the information published in this folder/on this website.